There is nothing more satisfying than cranberries simmering on the stove. Holiday or not! Nothing tastes better than dressing them over a rich and tender spice cake. And, nothing was more fun than making this recipe with Chef Debbie Lee. Serve as suggested as a mouth watering dessert or have a toasted slice for breakfast slathered in grass fed butter.
Spice Cake w/ Creme Fraiche and Ginger Lime Cranberry Chutney
For the Cake:
2.5 cups Bob Mills All Purpose 1 to 1 Baking Flour
1.5 cups Stir
3 eggs, Organic or Cage Free
1 stick Organic butter unsalted, room temp
1.5 cups Organic buttermilk
1 tsp Organic Vanilla
1/4 tsp Xantham Gum
1 tsp Baking Soda
2 tbs Organic Grated Ginger
1 tsp Organic Cinnamon
1 tsp Organic Ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp Sea or Kosher Salt
Butter to grease a 9 x 9 square Baking pan
For the Compote:
2 cups Organic Fresh Cranberries picked through and rinsed
1 cup Stir
Juice of 1 small organic lime
1 tbs Fresh organic Ginger
1/2 cup water
To top Cake:
Organic Creme Fraîche
To make Cake:
1. Preheat oven 350 degrees.
2. In a mixer combine butter and stir and cream until fluffy. Add eggs, vanilla and buttermilk. Mix until incorporated well.
3. In a separate bowl combine dry ingredients together with a whisk or fork.
4. Add dry ingredients a third at a time until batter has been incorporated. Pour into greased baking sheet.
6. Bake in oven for 40-45 minutes or until center of Cake comes out clean by using the toothpick test.
7. Let cook on cooling rack. Turn over and place on serving platter.
1. Combine ingredients in a small sauce pan and place on stovetop on low heat.
2. Bring to a low boil and reduce heat slightly and let cook down for 20-30 minutes or until Cranberries are cooked and consistency is that of a loose jam.
3. Remove from heat and let cool. Transfer contents to a serving bowl once cooled down.
1. Top slices of cake with a dollop of Creme Fraîche and a few tablespoons of the chutney. Garnish with Mint Sprigs if you like.