Well it is the most important meal of the day as they say. This little recipe has saved my life this week and if you have a hectic upcoming schedule all you need to do is throw together a batch of these healthy strawberry breakfast bars and take your oatmeal to-go!
Plus, strawberries are in season. With their plump juicy deliciousness they're at every farmer's market and grocery store piled high and likely on sale so, grab a bunch of them. With this healthy recipe, the more the merrier!
FYI - These lasted about 14 hours in my house so you might consider doubling the recipe if you have some great grazers in your home.
YIELD: 16 bars, PREP TIME: 20 minutes, COOK TIME: 35 minutes, TOTAL TIME: 55 minutes (plus cool time)
FOR THE STRAWBERRY BARS:
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 3/4 cup organic flour
- 1/3 cup (heaping) Stir Sweetener
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter or coconut oil, melted
- 2 cups small-diced strawberries (about 10 ounces), divided
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice (from about 1/2 small lemon)
- 1 tablespoon Stir Sweetener
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Use parchment paper to Line an 8×8-inch baking pan with some of the paper left out to create two handles.
- Combine the oats, flour, brown sugar, ginger, and salt in a medium bowl. Add the melted butter and stir until clumps form and dry ingredients are evenly coated. Measure a 1/2 cup of the crumble mixture and put aside. Press the remainder of the crumble mixture into an even layer in the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Add cornstarch, lemon juice, and Stir Sweetener to the berries and mix until combined. Distribute strawberries evenly over the crust. Then sprinkle the reserved crumbs evenly over the top. Some fruit will show through.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until the fruit bubbles and the crumb topping is golden. Place pan on a wire rack to cool completely (refrigerate to cool faster if you just can't wait)
- Once cooled use the parchment-paper handles you made to lift the bars out of the pan. Cut into squares, and serve.
- Refrigerate up to 5 days.